Intro to Garment Sewing
Want to learn how to sew garments? Maybe you just want to be able to know heads from tails when looking at a sewing pattern? Either way we've got you covered!
In this class we'll cover:
- How to measure yourself (or a friend!) to select the right pattern size/sizes
- Learn to decipher pattern symbols, language, and layouts so that you can be confident with garment patterns no matter the brand.
- How to properly cut, pin, and work with fabric to get the best results.
- How to set in sleeves
- Different types of seam finishes and when to use them.
- How to finish a neckline with bias facing.
This class is meant to be informative, fun, and encouraging! Class will take place in one 4 hour class. Before the first class, you will need to have your fabric picked out and PREWASHED. This just means that you'll wash and dry your fabric at home as you would with the finished project. This removes sizing, preshrinks, and allows the fabric to lay naturally. You'll get an email from the instructor with full instructions before class.
Instructor: Tessa Gonzales
All Supplies Available at Austin Sewing with a 10% discount when you mention the class!
We have classroom machines that you can rent for class if you don't have your own, but we do recommend learning on the machine you are going to be using going forward. You can add a machine rental here.
- 1 2/3 to 1 7/8 yards of woven (non stretchy) fabric depending on size (PREWASHED)
- Pattern is available for purchase at Austin Sewing
- All-purpose thread that matches project
Basic Tools Needed:
- Fabric scissors
- Straight pins
- Seam/hem gauge
- Thread snippers
- Seam ripper
- Fabric marking pen or tailor’s chalk - fine point
- Extra sewing machine needles (size 80/12 and 90/14)
- Measuring Tape (made for sewing!)
- Bobbins to fit your sewing machine
- Magnetic seam guide